RetopoG is an artist friendly modeling tool that addresses the common task of retopology without leaving the comfort and practicality of Maya. Retopology, also known as resurfacing, is the process of creating or modifying edgeflow over an existing base geometry.
So Why Use RetopoG?
- Works directly in Maya without obstructing all your standard tools.
- Very small learning curve.
- Fast and accessible, almost every action can be performed with one key, G.
- Quickly swap between different objects to resurface.
- Relax Tools for creating clean, evenly distributed polygons.
- Quick Wrap tools.
- Soft Selection that slides across the surface.
- Poly Sketch tools that are actually practical.
- View created polygons on top of the base without clipping.
- Operates under one unified and streamlined workflow. Little to no options tweaking necessary.
Why Should I Retopo in the First Place?
Many artists today rely extensively on retopology for preparing high-resolution models and 3D scans for animation, whether that be for games or VFX. With advancements in digital sculpting software, retopology has become the preferred modeling method of many. By sculpting first you have complete artistic control over your forms and are not tied to existing loops. By addressing edgeflow later, you can achieve results that better represent the surface. Ultimately, in the right hands, RetopoG can significantly decrease the time it takes to complete a model while achieving higher quality results. Work smarter, not harder.
Try using RetopoG on concept hard surface sculpts as well for a fast way to begin a hard surface model.
When Will it be Released?
When it is ready. RetopoG is currently nearing completion. At the moment I am not currently looking for additional Beta testers as development is wrapping up. Some big updates, fixes, and additions are being prepared for the public release in hopefully the near future.
Feel free to contact me here, my name is Christopher Emerson.